Monday, November 7, 2011

Resilience

Over the last 10 months of doing therapy, I have come to appreciate and admire the resilience of our clients.  The stories of abuse, addiction, affairs, among others continue to shock me--and I hope they always will.  What also shocks me is the recovery process.

Tonight, for example, another therapist's client revealed extreme emotional, physical, and sexual abuse that continued well into his teen years.  Now in his late 30s, he is married and has 3 kids, whom he loves and respects in a way he never knew.  He is working through his trauma and his resilience and recovery is just incredible. This is therapy at work.

Even in the case of extreme trauma, many clients are able to process it and move forward.  Though it is a hard, often painful process, they are able to have successful families, even if they grew up in a home where abuse was normal.  They are able to maintain intimate relationships, despite an addiction or affair.  It is truly amazing.

Hearing these stories also makes me feel extremely blessed to have the life that I do.  It is a constant reminder that life isn't fair and some end up with a bad hand.  I am a lucky girl and very thankful for all I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment