Monday, April 15, 2013

Prayers for Boston

http://www.businessinsider.com/inspiring-images-from-boston-2013-4

Wow. I just saw this link and the pictures and captions brought tears to my eyes. I've been watching the coverage of the bombings in Boston for most of the day.  Like most people, I kept thinking, "WHO could do this!? HOW is this happening!? WHAT is this world coming to!?"

What I wasnt thinking was, "Wow! Look at all of these people helping other people!" I was so focused on how evil human beings could be that I never thought about how amazing they could be, as well. Many first responders, bystanders, and other runners ran towards the blasts; the hospitals said they had enough donated blood and didnt need any more at the time.  Why dont we focus on this? Why cant we focus on this?

Is it in our nature to focus on the gruesome and horrific? Or, do we just replay these events over and over because we want answers to the endless questions that these tragedies raise? Despite my education and chosen profession, I dont know the answer to this. I make a living studying and analyzing human nature, yet I still have no idea how or why someone could do this. But, what I do know is that out of tragedies like Columbine, 9/11, and Sandy Hook, the outpouring of human compassion continues to astound me.

What if we were to focus on the heroes instead of the horror? Wouldnt that prove that we are a nation that values unity and selflessness? I think we are. Facebook and Twitter and CNN and other media outlets are showing that.

God Bless the USA and all those affected by the bombings at the Boston Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment