Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What War Are You Fighting? (Not in a Political Sense)

"Have compassion for everyone you meet, even if they don't want it. What appears ill-mannered, bad-tempered, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are being fought down where the skin meets the bone."*
~Miller Williams

I love this idea, possibly because I see it all the time when I do therapy, or possibly because I have a hard time remembering this until it hits me in the face.  A single glance is not a glimpse into someone's soul.  We get a glimpse only when we take the time to listen and be present. What appears to be perfect is often not, but sometimes, what appears to be imperfect from the outside may not be so bad; you never know.  

I hope this inspires us to feel compassion for those we don't know. After all, what war are YOU fighting?

*Thank you to Maggie VanDenBerg for this quote!

No comments:

Post a Comment