Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I mean....

Saw this on a friend's facebook--read first.

http://adultingblog.com/post/20260016876

I am definitely guilty sometimes of the "round-about request" or the "subtle, hidden request." I think, like the author, that it stems from growing up in the south, and the (ancient) idea that women should be polite, gentle, and non-invasive.  Here is an example:

Me:(I really want Mexican) "Where do you want to go to dinner?"

Friend: "I dont know, what are you in the mood for?"

Me: "Well..."(Mexican)"... anything really...."

Friend: "Like, Italian, Mexican, American?"

Me: (I want Mexican). "I mean, I could definitely go for Mexican, but if you would rather do something else, that's fine, too."

Friend: "Ok, let's do that then."

Me: (YES!) "Are you sure?"

Friend: "Ok, cool."

Me: "Yeah, sounds good."

Why couldn't I have just said, "Im in the mood for Mexican food, want to get that?" instead of this silly conversation??  It is even worse over text messaging. Getting to that conclusion can easily take 10 minutes. Why do we, especially women, think we cant, or shouldn't,  say what we mean from the beginning? I know that getting to the point is appreciated by men and women alike, not to mention bosses, coworkers, servers, telemarketing folks, and everyone else we come in contact with. What if we did that when ordering food at a restaurant?

Me: "I was thinking I'd have a chicken caesar salad, please."
Server: "Ok."
Me: "Or...wait.  What do you think? Is it good?"
Server: "Yes, it is good."
Me: "Ok, perfect." (pause) "Or, do I really want a burger? I mean, that is what I was kind of leaning towards."
Server: cricket cricket
Me: "No, no.  I'll go with the salad.  I mean, that is better right? Ok, start with her and then I will be ready."

 Come on. Is it too late to make a resolution to try to stop doing this??

1 comment: