Sunday, April 29, 2012

What's In A Name...

Read me:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pamela-redmond-satran/baby-name-rules_b_1456854.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=HuffPostBlog


Most of yall know how I feel about names, especially common ones and those representative of our birth year (Brittany, Lauren, Emily, Amanda...). My mom swears there were NO Brittanys when she chose the name, however my Kindergarten class had FOUR: Brittany Y, Brittany C, Brittany M, and Brittany D. All spelled the same way. Which is one of the reasons I chose to go by Britt when I moved out here.

I think names should have meaning and substance and history. My first name means "From Britain" (no joke) but my middle name is Carolyn, after my grandmother, which I think is very special.  Plus, it isnt common for our generation.

I really like #1, #9, and #19.

#1: No unique spellings. Think of all the ways to spell Brittany: Britney, Brittney, Brittaney, Britni, Brittni, Britnee,Britknee....enough said.

#9: Think about nicknames. I love the name Davidson (my mother's maiden name) but don't like the name David, so unfortunately that is out, unless it is a middle name.  We all go by nicknames; some are better than others.

#19: Dont make your child have to spell and pronounce their name every time they say it. When thinking about a name, think about your child on the first day of school.  Do you want your child to have to say "It is pronounced Lah-dash-ee-ah" (or whatever) for the next 12 years of school? And then have the teacher write it out on the roll in phonics so she can remember it?? No.

Let me add something to the list. #22: Dont name the child after the place she/he was conceived. It's cliche. London, Paris, Cheyenne, Georgia...just...dont.

So, choose wisely my friends.  Checking out the top 20 baby names may not be the way to go, unless, of course, you want to add to the statistics or are really uncreative.

No comments:

Post a Comment