Thursday, June 7, 2012

Contentment

Read Me:

http://pinterest.com/pin/224054150182146373/

A wise woman once told me that "happiness is temporary, but contentment is a state of peace that lasts long-term." At the time, I was too young to really understand what it meant, but it has stuck with me and as I have grown older, it has begun to make sense.

Happiness is defined as "the quality or state of being happy." At any given time, we can be in a state of happiness; but, happiness is often dependent upon other things--a good day at work, a good grade, an accomplishment. At the same time, our unhappiness is also dependent upon other things--a bad day, an argument, a speeding ticket.

Contentment is defined as "the state of being contentedsatisfaction; ease of mind." The part "ease of mind" is really the meaning of contentment.  It is being ok with life's circumstances, an ability to face the world and know that things will work out the way they are meant to, and having peace of mind.  Contentment is something to be worked towards and achieved, and is not dependent upon other things. Contentment does not fluctuate the way that happiness does. 


My clients often tell me that they want "their family to be happy." My response is that individual members can be happy at any given time, but that what they are really looking for is contentment--knowing that the family system is going to function properly and not fall apart because of their current crisis. They want to know that they can handle future problems and still remain intact.  Happiness among family members does not equal a functional family--contentment and ease of mind that the family will be ok is what does. 


Just because I know the difference between the two does not mean that I have reached a point where I am content with my life. In our 20's....is anyone? However, it is something that I am working towards; the end goal. It is hard to have faith that God will lead me to a place of contentment--after all, my life is hectic and the future is blurry. It will happen....eventually.    

1 comment:

  1. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."- Jeremiah 29:11

    ReplyDelete