Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Lurking Challege: Admitting We are Lurking on the Internet

It is time we admit it.  I'm guilty. You're guilty.  Your coworkers, classmates, and friends are guilty. Guilty of internet stalking.

It just so easy to do.  You are friends with someone who is facebook friends with so-and-so and next thing you know, you're looking at sorority pictures of so-and-so from 2005.

Another favorite: "Omg, did you see _________'s wedding pictures?? That dress/ring/bouquet/groomsman is beautiful!" Um no. I didnt see it because I havent seen or spoken to __________ since high school.  BUT, now that you bring it up, I'm going to go check it out for myself.

Not to get all 'researchy' on ya, but studies on happiness and perceived happiness say that this kind of stalking ('information gathering' as I prefer) has a particularly detrimental effect on women.  We are much more susceptible to the happiness comparison, mainly because women are more like to post pictures and statuses about things that make them happy.

Ex: "The gorgeous flowers my finance sent me! (with picture)" or "Just refinished the kitchen in our dream home (with picture)!"

I, too, am guilty of these things.  Let's get real.  You are too.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/why-everyone-needs-to-accept-that-theyre-a-giant-creeper-on-the-internet/

No comments:

Post a Comment