Thursday, October 27, 2011

It's Good to be Good

When I first started teaching 5th grade, I had a boy in my class named Chase.  Chase was quite the little charmer, very funny and smart and, I'm convinced, a future politician, as he could be quite the schmoozer.

Every morning he'd come in smiling and our conversation would go like this:

"Hey Ms. Yates, how ya doin?"--Chase

"Im good, Chase, how are you?"

"I'm good, Ms. Yates.  It's good to be good."--Chase

"It's good to be good."

Wouldn't it be nice if we had someone to remind us first thing in the morning how good it is to be good?  Because it is. We aren't required to be great or spectacular everyday, and if we were, we'd all be cast in The Stepford Wives 2. At least in my books, being good is enough for me (and sure beats the alternative).

This isn't to say that I don't want great days, or to be a great therapist or a great friend, or have everything in my life just great.  Because that would be...great.  But, I also don't feel like I'm settling when things are just good. It's good to be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment